1st Kyu Requirements (Brown Belt)
Student is expected to show dynamic combination of form, kime, speed and flow.
- San bon zuki
- Age uke + Gyaku zuki
- Soto ude uke + Empi uchi + Uraken uchi + Gyaku zuki - Forward stance, kiba dachi, forward stance.
- Uchi ude uke + Kizami zuki + Gyaku zuki - Back stance, forward stance.
- Gedan barai + Gyaku zuki
- Shuto Uke + Kizami geri + Nukite - Back stance, forward stance.
- Mae geri (Front kick)
- Ni dan geri (Back leg first)
- Ren geri (Front leg first)
- Yoko geri keage - Performed in kiba dachi stance.
- Yoko geri kekomi - Performed in kiba dachi stance.
- Mawashi geri - Performed in fighting stance.
- Ushiro geri - Performed in fighting stance.
The student is required to perform Heian katas 1 to 5, Tekki shodan and favourite kata selected from Bassai dai, Kanku dai, Empi, Hangetsu or Jion.
Jiyu ippon kumite (Semi-free single blow sparring). Predetermined formal attack and defence from a fighting stance.
- Jo-dan oi zuki attack - Lunge punch to face
- Chu-dan oi zuki attack - Lunge punch to stomach
- Chu-dan mae geri attack - Font kick to stomach
- Yoko geri kekomi attack - Side thrust kick
- Mawashi geri attack - Roundhouse kick
- Ushiro geri attack - Back kick
Karate-ka are required to demonstrate the following:
- Around the clock control
- Escape from grab to throat and bear hug
- Arm bar from mount
- Ashi barai
- All throws from previous gradings
- Blood choke
- Air choke
- Bag work: All kicks and hand techniques from previous gradings
- 50 Push ups
- 100 Sit ups